How to Bargain-Politely
Don't automatically assume that paying the price
marked on the tag is polite. In Flea markets, antique shops,open markets
and countries such as India you could lose out. The shopkeepers here expect
to be bargained down and keep that in mind while putting the price tags.
Here are polite ways to do it:
- Ask the merchant if he "can do any better".This
simple question might get you as much as 15% discount.
- Tell him you did'nt expect to spend more than
Rs. 500, and you think that its a shame that the item is so expensive.
Wait for his reaction.
- Say you will pay his price if you throw in another
- Find a flaw-a scratch, a missing button, to knock
the price down.
- If he doesn't agree, leave your card or name
and telephone number with the shopkeeper incase he changes his mind.
And be able to walk away without regret. You may
be halfway down the street before you hear the merchant yell"Okay
how about Rs.525?"
Back to Home